Sunday, March 3, 2024

Powerboater problem with sailboats

BACK

I thought this video was a perfect example of why powerboaters should never make a video about the problems with sailboats as it devolves into silly arguments against sailboats because the lack of any real knowledge on this topic. I think if one does a video about the pros and cons of powerboats versus sailboats its better to drop the pros and cons and simply note each boats characteristics, usage, etc. Let the reader or listener make the choice of what is best for their needs.

However here is my evaluation of this powerboater, Wayne the Boat Guy video called "Sailing: The Problem With Sailboats." See his video below.

I do not want my comments to be negative but its obvious Wayne has never sailed. His comments are what I find typical of power-boater mentality. Seriously why even make a video about a thing you know nothing about. I would never do a video on racing cars because I know nothing about it.

I am going to comment related to each of his 5 points on his video about the problem with sailboats.

1. Steep Learning Curve: This depends on what you are going to sail. I run a sailing school, teaching on small boats up to 18', small catamarans and sportboats (what some may call trailer-able keelboat). I teach basic small boat (capsize-able boats) and big boat (non capsize-able boat with cabin) classes, that includes safe boating. Both of these classes are one day classes starting at 7am and ending at 6pm. I teach the required safe boating stuff and basic sailing, by the end of the day all my students sail well, mainly because I keep it simple. So in a day with any excellent instructor one can learn to sail. After this class one can build on their knowledge and base skills layer by layer until one is highly proficient. The fact you can motor your powerboat out and back to the dock with no or little skill is nothing to brag about, all boaters no matter a sailor and powerboater should all take classes. There are far more powerboat accidents than with sailboats, why because sailors have to be knowledgeable, they can't just turn the key on and go. Wayne says driving a boat is similar to a car in spite of having no brakes, etc. Really, like a car? No brakes, hull moving through the water, etc. is just like driving a car. Sorry that is quite a stretch.

2.The Weather has to be just right:  Well he obviously does not understand weather. No, the weather does not have to be perfect as he states. Are you kidding, have you seen all the variable weather that sailors sail in. I think he is talking about no wind or little wind. My students have learned to say “there is always wind.” Now I am joking kind of, however the air is rarely not moving, if the air is moving, there is wind. The boats I sail can sail in a whisper of wind. None of my boats have motors. I have oars, paddles, or other human powered options. I grew up in Westport WA sailing on Grays and Willapa Harbors, and the Pacific Ocean and never used a motor, not once. Now I know I am the extreme example even with sailors. What I have learned is to watch the weather and tides/currents. New powerboaters and those who are not very educated would be wise to learn a lot more about the weather, as the weather can significantly impact ones boating. The weather can kills you! Does not matter if your a sailor or powerboater. Sailors are known to work well with weather, most powerboaters not so much. 

3. Going Solo: He says its not easy to sail solo. Actually its so so easy to solo sail. If a sailor solos a lot he will own a sailboat that is easy to do that with. Heck I had a 33' racing catamaran with a 16' beam, 54' tall mast, and sailed it solo all the time. love to solo sail it. I still regularly solo sail. Sure it takes skill to sail solo, but once your an experienced sailor one can easily solo sail. I am solo sailing a small sailboat to Alaska in 2025. There are a lot of weekend warrior sailors, or martini sailors as they are called that simply do not take the time to learn to sail solo, they are the ones you see always motoring their sailboat, with the sails never up. That is fine if one wants to do that but do not judge the ease or not of solo sailing from them.

4. They Are Slow: Oh boy this guy has no clue on speed. Sure most keelboats and big house boat like catamarans are slow, however there are many sailboats that are much faster. I had my 33' cat up to 26 knots. I could regularly sail her at 15-18 knots. Under motor power it was easy to have her at 10 knots. So there is a lot of variability in sailboat designed related to speed. I should note all the around the world speed records on water are by sailboats, none by powerboats. If you watch SailGP racing, those foiling catamarans reach speeds up to 60 miles per hour.

5. More Work: "More work? More Preparation?" No matter a powerboater or sailor one should be prepared. Before I go sailing I supply a float plan to someone that will notice if I do not get back in a reasonable time (if you do not know what a float plan is, that is a big problem). When I go to sailing it does not take hardly any work, because my boat is always prepared for any trip. All I really need to do is check the weather and pull up my sails and off I go. Pretty simple. Rigging, if your boat is at a dock it takes little work to do and go. Sure you have to take the covers off the sails (extends the life of the sails), about a 5-15 minute process. If you trailer your boat, sure rigging takes more time, but again it depends on the sailboat. The rigging as he calls it is already set up, what is there to do really. My Hobie Wave literally takes about 15 minutes to rig and launch. If you are driving a powerboat are you really going to just tie to the dock and turn off the motor(s), and go. Really, your not going to do anything else with your motor? If your on salt water are you not going to clean out your system? Not going to lock up, check the boat, etc. He notes if it is hot putting the sails away is difficult? Boy I never knew sailing was so hard before listening to him. I have sailed for 57 years. Nope, not hard to me. I see all the work my friends have to put into their motors (repairs, etc.) and cost of gas and oil, etc., which always makes me thankful to be a sailor. I especially love when I sail by them when their motors die (as long as I know their ok I will sail by). I am being funny but Wayne may want to start exercising if he thinks such low effort requires so much work.

On the topic of hating power-boaters, the reason some sailors dislike power-boaters is simply what Wayne's attitude is. He says "I can take my boat out with no training and boat." This is the problem! Most power-boaters are uneducated. You take training to drive a car, yet they think no training is needed to drive a boat, and that is just not true and its also a dangerous way to think. Powerboaters are not suppose to create a wake within 100 feet of a sailboat, boats not moving or anchored, or other non motorized watercraft, yet they do it all the time, why because they have no clue. I could make a very long list of what I see powerboaters do wrong almost every time I boat, not so with sailors. The good news is at least safe boating certifications are now required in all but 4 states. Hopefully those 4 states will be on board soon. You might notice these certifications are for powerboats of 10-15 hp or more. No such requirement for sailors. Food for thought, hint its because 99.9% of all boating accidents are by powerboaters. I suggest all powerboaters take a sailing class also. When you get caught in a big wind storm, etc. you will be better able to handle it because you will be much more aware as a sailor, much more aware of their environment and how windage affects the boat, etc.

I am not trying to be negative but seriously this video did not really teach the truth about sailing because its from the perspective of a powerboater with no sailing experience. So I was not surprised he got almost all of it wrong. Hopefully some day someone can make a factual video about the skills needed for powerboats and sailboats, without the biases. I am going to do such a video, so stay tuned.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment