Sunday, December 4, 2011

Mitch Robinson... Lake Coeur d'Alene & Potholes Reservoir!

At dock at Lofts Bay landing, Lake Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Oct. 2011

To fellow sailors living in the Great Northwest, I was asked to share some of my sailing experiences about the area (to be exact sailing within the Inland NW). There are a number of great places to sail around this area but, unfortunately I have only had the opportunity to actually sail on two of the lakes so far. The lake I am most familiar with is Lake Coeur d' Alene in Idaho because I live about 10 miles down the lake, (south) of Interstate I-90. During the summer I boat to work, (sail if there is wind, motor if no wind) then after work boat up to Beauty Bay and spend the night anchored in the bay. There are 3 buoys in Beauty Bay to tie off to, so it makes for a nice protected place to spend the night. It usually does not get crowded until after the end of June. In the mornings after my coffee I sail until it's time to go back to work. Fortunately, this next year I will have more time to sail since I am now Retired.

Sailing from Lofts Bay to Carlin Bay, Lake Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Aug. 2011

I also had a nice sail recently from Carlin Bay, ( Coeur d' Alene Lake) over to Loff's Bay which is just slightly northwest across the lake from Carlin Bay. I plan to check out some of the places on this lake that I haven't had time to see now that I am retired.  Like going up the St. Joe and Coeur d' Alene rivers and checking out the wild life. When you have a sailboat that only draws 18" of draft you can go alot of places others can not. 

Sailing aboard my Compac 16 with Miles Moore on the Potholes Reservoir. The Hobie 17 sailor is Jeff Creim. Spring 2009.

Miles Moore and I had the good fortune to go to Pot Holes Reservoir in Washington awhile back and spend a couple of days sailing and camping out on my ComPac-16.  We had good wind and hit close to 6 knots one day which is real good for such a small mono hull.


Stay tuned as a follow up article is coming to show the before, in process of being restored, and after pictures.

If there is anyone interested in going sailing or boat camping lets get together and enjoy the great outdoors. Call me  208-689-9828 or leave a comment below... Happy Sailing, Mitch Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment