Wednesday, September 2, 2026

The Worst Sailboats?

 

I thought this video about the worst sailboats is interesting. I do not totally agree but almost do.


I made a comment on this video, here it is...


"I am the one in the video sailing the Super Snark. I used to sell this boat until covid took it out of production. In this video he comments that they are fragile, but they are anything but. I have seen the original boats (call the Sea Snark with no plastic covering) that are all foam, not plastic covering still sailing, 1960's models. This boat first went into production in 1954, later in the 80's they covered the hull and cockpit in plastic and renamed if the Super Snark. More people have learned to sail on this boat than any other. I sailed my Snark for years, raced against Lasers in light winds and won, they are great in light winds. Sailed in heavy air too, and still fun to sail. By the way the mast is not flexi as they are short masts due to a lateen sail set up. Sure, this boat is not high performance, but who cares as they are fun to sail, and durable.


Sad to say I got a dealership selling the 26M, bad mistake. New boats would come to me that leaked bad, inconsistent thickness of fiberglass in the hull and deck. They sail like crap and do not motor all that well either. Yes, there are some who own them, that love them, but it's because they do not know any better.


Not mentioned in this video are the West Wright Potters, likely due to them being built well, etc. I think the Potters are less than desire-able, the 14 and 15 can capsize, which is next to impossible to recover from, and the 19 sails like a box (not a good thing). Still with those faults they should not in this video as one of the worst sailboats.


I agree with his assessment on the other boats in the video. When it comes to trailer-able sportboats I love the Montgomery's, Sage17, San Juan 21, Catalina 22, Compacs, and the Malbec18.com . Great boats."

No comments:

Post a Comment