Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Dakota Osborne... USS Dwight D. Eisenhower

This article is written by Dakota Osborn who is a former member of our Sea Scout Ship from 2014. Dakota finally wrote a short article about his time in the Navy. He plans to write us every so often and I will post as quickly asap. Dakota is a great young man and I am honored he is serving his country in an effort to protect us all.


By Dakota Osborne, Dec. 2015.

Have you ever heard the expression, “working like a deck hand"? I remember hearing that a couple of times and thought nothing of it. But than I joined the Navy, and not only do I understand the expression, I live it every day. Anyways my name is Dakota Osborne and i am a Undesignated Seamen.

I checked in on the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (aircraft carrier) on June 11, 2015. My orders said that i will serve my time as an undesignated seaman in Norfolk VA. When I arrived at my ship we were in a place called the "ship yards." It’s where a ship goes after a deployment so that it can get fixed up and become mission ready. I got to experience that dreadful place for a couple months. While we were there I was on the fire team for a drill we call General Quarters. Wearing a suite that protects you from flames is heavy and makes you hot. It doesn’t help when the outside temperature is 95 degrees and the ship is 10 degrees hotter on the inside.


Anyways right now it is 12/6/2015 and it is close to being 2000. I am currently out at sea and going through a graded underway. It’s basically time out at sea where my department and I do drills and actual events to get qualified in our evolutions we perform. A couple big ones are unrep, RAS, lowering the RHIB, mooring, and unmooring. These evolutions are fairly hard and can be fairly dangerous. My departments name is deck and I work with BM's (Boatswains Mates)… they are the deck hands of the boat. So I can honestly say I know what it is like to work as a deck hand. Anyways I will explain the evolutions to you one by one.


Dakota with ship mates and dock line
RAS (Replenishment At Sea) is the second craziest thing we do out at sea. It’s when a ship pulls alongside us and matches our speed, and attaches a highline made out of wire rope from their ship to our ship. After it gets attached they send us supplies. 

Next is FAS (Fuel At Sea) its kind of like unrep except we have multiple span wires connecting to 3 or 4 station that have sockets on those stations for things called probes to be brought over across the span wire so we can take on fuel for our air craft to keep doing what they are made to do.

Dropping the RHIB (Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat) is used when there is a man over board. we drop the RHIB from about 30 feet down to the water and go get someone who may have fallen overboard.

Will write more shortly…

Make a comment below to Dakota if you would like... I am sure he would love to here from us.

Some pics from Dakota aboard the carrier... click on pics to enlarge
Dakota 2nd from front
FAT - Fuel(ing) At Sea


Dakota splicing line
Dakota in front coiling line around large winch


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your service Dakota. You are a fine young man! :)

    ReplyDelete